Monday, February 11, 2013

California Blueberry Pioneer Retires

Just saw a flyer from California Cooperative Extension in Tulare, County announcing their Blueberry activities.  Included a note from Manuel Jiminez, the Small Farms Advisor announcing his retirement on June 30, 2013.
Here is the message:

 "Dear Friends and Colleagues:  Since I began my career as a Small Farms Advisor for the University of California Cooperative Extension on June 1, 1980, I have come to appreciate the kindness bestowed on me and the countless friendships I have made.  Although it was a difficult decision, my family, community and volunteer commitments require more of my time.  And, so, on June 30, 2013 after 33 years,I will be retiring from University service.  I look forward to continuing to serve you over the next five months, visiting you at your farms and greeting you at upcoming meetings."

I first met Manuel at the Parlier Station 15 years ago when I had heard that they had some blueberries.  I was unannounced, and ran into him while wandering around the center.  He dropped all he was doing, showed me his amazing work.  He had all sorts of unusual fruits growing in almost impossible places!  Oe of these plants was the blueberry.  Thank you Mauuel!

Oh yes:  The rest of the note--
March 10-12, 2013:  California Small Fruit Conference
May 22-23, 2013:  Blueberry Field Tour & Meeting
June 8, 2013: Blueberry Tasting




No comments:

Post a Comment